Try giving these Bible verse search puzzles the next time you want your kids to hunt for the treasure of God’s Word. All you need is a Bible, a dictionary and some paper. You will need to do a little prep work and then send your kids on their scripture hunts.
I LOVE puzzles! Jigsaw puzzles, logic puzzles and word search puzzles are my favorites. A lot of kids love puzzles too. Here is a fun way to create your own Bible verse search puzzles to help them hide God’s Word in their hearts and minds.
This idea was inspired by a game I saw in a kids’ book of games called 501 TV-Free Activities for Kids by Di Hodges. I thought it was really creative and could easily be adapted to creating your own Bible verse search puzzles.
How to Make Your Own Bible Verse Search Puzzles:
Choose a Bible verse that you would like your kids to learn, such as John 3:16, which says: For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him will not perish, but have eternal life.
- Take a dictionary and and look up the first word in the verse. In this case, it is the word “for.”
- On a piece of paper write down the very next word that comes after the word “for” in the dictionary. For example, in my Webster’s Dictionary from the 1950’s “forage” comes right after “for.”
- Continue to do this for each word in the verse.
- Do not do this for the reference of the verse, i.e.: John 3:16. In fact, leave the reference off. The child will have to look that up after he figures out the scripture by looking it up in a concordance or “googling” it online.
- Here is what the first part of John 3:16 would look like if I wrote it using my Webster’s Dictionary:
“Forage Godartia soak love-apple Thea worldliness thatch head gavel hispid one-horse andante onamancy sonance…”
Tips for Playing your Bible verse search puzzles:
- Make sure the child uses the same dictionary you used. Not all dictionaries are the same.
- Reward you child with a fun treat for his hard work.
- Have your child make up their own Bible verse search puzzles for others in your family or classroom to solve.
If you liked this article about Bible verse search puzzles, then sign up to receive Scripture Lady’s Free Email Kid Tips packed full with creative ideas and receive 12 FREE Bible downloadable resources to help get the kids you minister to excited about the Bible! Just go to www.MyFreeBibleGames.com to fully subscribe.
Also, don’t forget to “LIKE” me on Facebook. Just click on my Facebook logo to the right. Thank you!