The Scripture Lady loves creating Bible object lessons for kids! Here is one called “Lessons from a Birthday Cake.”
“Happy Birthday! Blow out your candles and make a wish!” Most of us have heard this well wish at one time or another, but have you ever taken the time to think what a birthday cake can teach us about God?
Bible object lessons for kids will help the Bible’s truths come to life and for this one you will need to do the following:
I suggest you prepare a cake that needs to be iced and then use it as your prop during this tasty object lesson.
1. Most birthday cakes have a number of candles on top to let everyone know the age of the birthday person. Lesson Learned: Birthday candles should remind us of how important and precious life really is. Some people have many years that they will live and some have shorter lives. But no matter how long or short our life here is on earth, we need to live our life for God.
2. A birthday candle isn’t much good unless it gets lit. Lesson Learned: The Bible says that Christians should be the light of the world. Each year that we live should be filled with the desire to do good things and be good so that people can see Jesus in us, the brightest light of all.
3. Next comes the icing, yummy and sweet! Lesson Learned: Our lives are filled with so many sweet and wonderful things and events. Even when life gets hard, we can still find people, places and things that we can be extremely thankful for.
4. But what is my birthday cake like without any lit candles? It’s dull and lifeless and doesn’t represent the birthday joy that should be there. Lesson Learned: Our lives can become dull and lifeless as well if we don’t let the love of Jesus shine through us.
5. And what happens to the icing when I cut into the cake. It splits and becomes broken. Lesson Learned: Life sometimes feels like it’s broken, too. All of us experience times of sadness, frustration and brokenness. It can be very hard to see the sweetness of life at times.
6. The actual cake of the birthday cake is what really counts! Have you ever had a piece of birthday cake that you didn’t like? It looked so great on the outside – candles, icing, the works – but when you bite into it, it tasted awful. Lesson Learned: Our lives can look really great on the outside, but if someone were to really look deep into our hearts, they might not like what they see. The Bible says that God looks at our hearts. He wants His children to live lives that are pleasing to Him so that others might come to know Him and so that our own lives will be filled with joy!
Just in case you’re interested, you might want to check out this book with even more Bible Object Lessons for your kids: The Big Book of Kids Sermons and Object Talks (Big Books)
If you liked this Sunday School/Homeschooling idea, then sign up to receive Scripture Lady’s Free Email Kid Tips packed full with creative ideas and receive 6 FREE Bible Review Games to help get the kids you minister to excited about the Bible! Just go to www.MyFreeBibleGames.com to fully subscribe.
Also, don’t forget to “LIKE” me on Facebook. Just click on my Facebook logo to the right. Thank you!
If you’re into Twitter, click on the cute little bird!