The Scripture Lady loves creating Bible object lessons for kids! Here is one called “Eternal Encouragement.”
What’s your favorite perfume or cologne? There are hundreds of them, yet none of them last for very long. But have you ever heard of the scent called “Eternal Encouragement”? OK. It’s not really a perfume. But isn’t God’s encouragement sweeter smelling than any perfume ever made? I think so. Here is a fun Bible object lesson that will help your kids understand this truth.
Bible object lessons for kids will help the Bible’s truths come to life and for this one you will need to do the following:
The object you will use for this lesson will be a bottle of perfume. Attach a new label to the bottle which says “Eternal Encouragement.”
Ask the following questions to help stimulate discussion:
1. What am I holding? (Wait for responses.) That’s right. It’s a perfume bottle. Who would like to smell it? (Pass it around to those children who would like to take a whiff.)
2. Does perfume really last a long time or eternally, like the bottle says? (Wait for responses.) No. It doesn’t. It usually only lasts for a few hours.
3. Would you like to know about something that can last forever? (Wait for responses.)
4. Ask a child to read 2 Thessalonians 2:16 (NIV).
5. Say the following: From this verse, what do we learn that is eternal? (Wait for response of encouragement.)
6. Let’s learn a little more about this Bible verse and learn how to apply it to our own lives. Here are 3 important points.
Point 1: Encouragement. Doesn’t that word sing a sweet song in your heart? Encouragement is like a precious perfume. We all love to be encouraged. David encouraged Saul on his harp and his music soothed Saul’s mind. A man named Barnabus in the Bible was called “the son of encouragement.” But of course, Jesus is the greatest encourager of all!
Point 2: Our friends, families and teachers can encourage us. And that’s good. But all of their encouragement vanishes pretty quickly like soap bubbles in the air or like this perfume after awhile. But God’s encouragement lasts forever!
Point 3: God’s encouragement is filled with His forgiveness of our sins and the comfort of knowing that He loves us and accepts us just the way we are. So, next time you read the Bible or hear a sermon or listen to your Sunday School teacher talk about God, take a big whiff of God’s sweet perfume – Eternal Encouragement.
This 3-Point Bible Object Lesson for Kids was inspired by my reading of C.H. Spurgeon’s devotional on 2 Thessalonians 2:16 from his book Morning and Evening. You too can be inspired by your favorite Christian authors and come up with your own 3-Point Sermon for Kids.
Just in case you’re interested, you might want to check out this book with even more Bible Object Lessons for your kids: Really Big Book of Kids Sermons and Object Talks (Really Big Books)
If you liked this Sunday School/Homeschooling idea, then sign up to receive Scripture Lady’s Free Email Kid Tips packed full with creative ideas and receive 6 FREE Bible Review Games to help get the kids you minister to excited about the Bible! Just go to www.MyFreeBibleGames.com to fully subscribe.
Also, don’t forget to “LIKE” me on Facebook. Just click on my Facebook logo to the right. Thank you!
If you’re into Twitter, click on the cute little bird!