Make Your Own Balloon Family
My newest program is called “God Gave Me a Family” and in it, I share my adorable “Balloon Family.” It is perfect for preschoolers and younger elementary children to learn that God cares about the families that He has placed us in.
I am always trying to come up with fun and creative ways to share the truths of the Bible. Being able to share about the importance of family motivated me to use the fun chemical reaction of vinegar and baking soda to create a unique family. I call them my “Balloon Family.” You can make a “Balloon Family” too, by following the directions below and using the sweet little poem I wrote about each of these “Balloon Family” members.
What You Need:
4 – one liter bottles
4 – 8-10 inch balloons (I used yellow)
About 4 cups of vinegar
About 6 teaspoons of baking soda
Cute drawings for the bodies of each of the family members (Look at the picture for ideas.)
A permanent marker for drawing the faces
How to Prepare:
- Pour 1 cup of vinegar into each bottle.
- Blow up each balloon, but do not tie off. Draw a face on each balloon representing each family member.
- Deflate each balloon and add 1.5 teaspoons of baking soda into each balloon.
- Attach the “clothing” to each bottle.
- Carefully attach each balloon onto the neck of the bottle so that when the balloon inflates, the face will be seen looking forward. Make sure you don’t let any baking soda fall into the vinegar until you are ready to inflate the balloon.
- Practice the “Balloon Family” poem below.
- When you are ready to share your “Balloon Family,” carefully lift up each balloon and let the baking soda pour into the bottle of vinegar. The balloon will begin to inflate.
NOTE: I had to experiment with my quantities of vinegar and baking soda to make sure my balloons remained in the upright position and didn’t droop down. The quantities can vary depending on the size of your bottle and balloons. So, take time to practice and see what works.
The Balloon Family Poem
God gave me a family in which to grow and love.
Each member is important. Each one I am proud of.
First comes the man within our home
I think he’s really rad.
He works all day, then plays with me
I always call him Dad.
Next is this pretty lady
She cooks and cleans and keeps her calm
When our house goes crazy
I always call her Mom
This family member plays football
Dad says he’s like none other
He also finds time to play with me
Why he’s my older Brother
After me there’s just one more
She’s a baby. I like to kiss her.
I help Mom take care of her
She is my baby sister
Yes, my family’s very special
Maybe some day there’ll be more
But right now it’s just me
And these four that I adore!
Looking for some GREAT Bible Review Games for your kids? Then check out The Scripture Lady’s Best Seller:
If you would like Kathy to creatively share the Bible with YOUR kids, please contact her via email at email@example.com.
If you liked this Creative Bible idea, then sign up to receive Scripture Lady’s Free Email Kid Tips packed full with creative ideas and receive 12 FREE Bible downloadable resources to help get the kids you minister to excited about the Bible! Just go to www.MyFreeBibleGames.com to fully subscribe.
Also, don’t forget to “LIKE” me on Facebook. Just click on my Facebook logo to the right. Thank you!