I love the Wordless Book! I teach it to all my kids. It is a simple and great tool for sharing the wonderful plan God has for all mankind through the five colors of black, red, white, green and yellow. Here is a great free Bible activity for children they will really love to play while learning what each of the colors means. It takes some preparation, but it will be well worth the effort.
Here’s what you do:
Prepare 48 cards about 2.5 x 2.5. On the front of each card you might print a picture of the Wordless Book. On the backs of 10 cards each, place one of these 4 colors: red, white, green and yellow. On top of each of the colors, write a point value of 100 to 400. On the backs of the eight remaining cards, place the black color with no point value. Place all 48 cards front side forward on a pocket chart or a table for your whole class to see. Next, get a basket in which you will put 2 each of the following cards: 2 black, 2 red, 2 white, 2 green, 2 yellow and 2 with all the 5 colors showing. Finally, have the list of prepared True or False questions found below. You are now ready to play the game.
Divide your children into 2 teams and pick a child to be the scorekeeper. Tell the children they are going to learn about the Wordless Book and what each of the colors means. (If you have not done so already, take time to go over the Wordless Book colors one by one. For this game I will assume you know how to do that. If you are new to the Wordless Book, you can Google it to find out how to present it.)
Have a child come up from the first team. Ask him to reach into the basket and pull out one of the color cards. You, the teacher, will proceed to ask the child one of the True or False questions that match the color he chose. If the child answers the true or false question correctly, he will then have the chance to pick up to 4 cards from the 48 Wordless Book cards. Each card has a point value of 100 to 400 points. There are also 8 black cards on the board. If the child picks a black card, then all the points they have accumulated on their turn go to the other team. The child does not have to pick all 4 cards during his turn. He can stop if he is afraid he might find a black card. Play until all 12 questions have been read. The team with the most points wins.
Here are the Wordless Book Questions:
- Dark – Romans 13:12 says this: “We need to set aside the deeds of darkness in our lives.” Deeds of darkness are sins. Sin is anything you think, say or do that displeases God.
True or False: We need to get rid of the sin in our lives.
2. Dark – Hebrews 12:1 says this: “Let us throw off everything that hinders us and the sin that so easily entangles us and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.” Do you ever feel tangled up in your sin? It seems one lie leads to another or one unkind word leads to a bad attitude. The next time you feel tangled up in your sin, remember to go to God right away and ask Him to forgive you and set you free.
True or False: Sin doesn’t tangle you up. It makes life smooth.
3. Red – Hebrews 9:22 says this: “Without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.” It is very important that a Christian understands why Jesus died on the cross. This Bible verse gives us the answer. He died so that His perfect blood that He shed on the cross could forgive our sins. When we believe this we are forgiven.
True or False: Jesus HAD to shed His blood in order for our sins to be forgiven.
4. Red – Revelation 1:5-6 says this: “To Him who loved us and has freed us from our sin by His blood, be all the glory and the power forever and ever. Amen!” Isn’t it amazing that Jesus loved us so much that He willingly endured the pain of the cross so that the blood He shed would forgive our sins? When we believe this, we are free from the deathly power of sin.
True or False: Believing that Jesus shed His blood for the forgiveness of my sins does not free me from the power of sin.
5. White – 1 John 1:9 says this: “If we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” Unrighteousness is another word for sin. After we choose to accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior, it is important to understand that we still might do wrong things. When we do these wrong things we should go to God in prayer and confess, or say we are truly sorry for what we did. We should also remember that when Jesus died on the cross, all our sins were washed away.
True or False: When I do something wrong, I should confess it to God.
6. White – A lot of people in this world think they can get rid of their sins just by being really, really good. This is absolutely not true. The only way you can get rid of the sin in your life is by believing on the Lord Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior who died on the cross to forgive your sins.
True or False: I can get rid of my sins just by being really, really good.
7. Green – After we choose to believe in Jesus as our Lord and Savior, we should have a desire to grow in Him. Growing in God is as simple as GROW! (Spell out the letters). “G” stands for going to church. “R” stands for reading your Bible and praying. “O” stands for obeying God. And “W” stands for witnessing to others about Jesus.
True or False: Growing in God is as simple as SHRINK (Spell out the letters).
8. Green – The green color in the Wordless Book reminds us that we can grow in God. Once we become a Christian, we become a child of God. The Bible says we also become His friend. Growing in your friendship with God should be your #1 priority.
True or False: Growing in God should be the last thing you ever think about.
9. Yellow – The Wordless Book color of yellow should remind us of Heaven. The Bible says that in Heaven there is one street made out of pure gold. This will be exciting to see one day, but it can’t compare to the amazing fact that Heaven is where God lives.
True or False: The Bible says that in Heaven there is one street made out of jellybeans.
10. Yellow – Earth is a wonderful place to live, but Heaven is a Christian’s real home. Did you know that Heaven has rules? One of the biggest rules is this: Nothing bad or specifically sinful can ever enter into Heaven. Since “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,” the only way into Heaven is by believing on the Lord Jesus Christ.
True or False: Nothing bad or specifically sinful can ever enter into Heaven.
11. Wordless Book Colors – The Wordless Book is an amazing tool that you can use to share God’s wonderful plan with everyone you meet. There are no words in the Wordless Book, just 5 great colors. And once you know what each color means, the Wordless Book definitely has a lot to say.
True or False: The Wordless Book has 5 pages of words.
12. Wordless Book Colors – The Wordless Book has 5 beautiful colors that share the good news of God’s wonderful plan for you and me. Dark is for the sin in our lives. Red is for God’s blood. White is for how Jesus made our heart clean from sin. Green is for our growth in God. Yellow is for Heaven.
True or False: Each color in the Wordless Book tells of God’s wonderful plan for you and me.
Just in case you’re interested, you might want to check out this book with even more Bible lessons for your kids: All Together Now: 13 Sunday School Lessons When You Have Kids of All Ages in One Room
If you liked this Sunday School/Homeschooling idea, then sign up to receive Scripture Lady’s Free Email Kid Tips packed full with creative ideas and receive 6 FREE Bible Review Games to help get the kids you minister to excited about the Bible! Just go to www.MyFreeBibleGames.com to fully subscribe.
Also, don’t forget to “LIKE” me on Facebook. Just click on my Facebook logo to the right. Thank you!
If you’re into Twitter, click on the cute little bird!