Asking 5 W questions for Bible review is a fun way to help your children learn the basics of any Bible story. Here are some questions for Luke Two about the birth of Jesus in the manger.
The births of my two children were two of the greatest days of my life, but their births could never compare to the amazing birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. The birth of Jesus may be the greatest story that could ever be told. A virgin mother, the King of all kings sleeping in an animal’s feed trough, angels and terrified shepherds. It doesn’t get much better than that.
Many, if not all of your kids, will know this story. But pray the Lord makes it special to them somehow. For example when I read it through this time, I was especially blown away by the fact that a whole host of angels joined the one angel who announced Jesus’’ birth. Can you even imagine what that must have been like?! Be sure you set the story up with a quick explanation of what a census is and why it was necessary for Joseph and Mary to travel to Bethlehem.
Here are twenty-one 5 “W” questions – who, what, when, where, why and how - with their answers for the story of “The Birth of Jesus” found in Luke 2: 1-20. These questions can be used with both young children and elementary children. Just be ready to tweak them a little bit for the appropriate age. You can also read a verse first, and then ask the question or you can read the whole passage of Scripture and then ask the questions. Your younger children might enjoy having some kind of puppet ask the questions. Have fun!
Questions for the story “The Birth of Jesus”
1. Who was the Roman emperor at the time of the census?
Answer: Augustus. (Luke 2:1)
2. Where did Joseph have to go to be counted for the census?
Answer: Bethlehem. (Luke 2:4)
3. Who did Joseph take with him to Bethlehem?
Answer: Mary. (Luke 2:5)
4. Where was baby Jesus born?
Answer: In Bethlehem. (Luke 2:6)
5. What kind of clothes did Mary wrap Jesus in?
Answer: In strips of cloth. (Luke 2:7)
6. Where did baby Jesus sleep?
Answer: In a manger. (Luke 2:7)
7. Why did Joseph, Mary and Jesus have to sleep out in a barn?
Answer: Because there was no room in the inn. (Luke 2:7)
8. What were the shepherds doing out in the fields nearby?
Answer: They were guarding their sheep. (Luke 2:8)
9. Who appeared to the shepherds in the fields?
Answer: An angel of the Lord. (Luke 2:9)
10. What surrounded the shepherds of the field?
Answer: The Lord’s glory. (Luke 2:9)
11. How did the shepherds feel when they saw the angel?
Answer: They were terrified. (Luke 2:9)
12. Why did the angel say to the shepherds, “Do not be afraid”?
Answer: Because he had good news for them. (Luke 2:10)
13. What did the angel call Jesus?
Answer: The Savior, the Messiah and the Lord. (Luke 2:11)
14. How would the shepherds know who Jesus was?
Answer: The baby Jesus will be wrapped “in strips of cloth, lying in a manger.” (Luke 2:12)
15. Who joined the angel and praised God?
Answer: A whole army of angels. (Luke 2:13)
16. When did the shepherds go to find baby Jesus?
Answer: After all the angels returned to Heaven (Luke 2:15)
17. How fast did the shepherds go to look for baby Jesus?
Answer: They hurried. (Luke 2:16)
18. When did the shepherds tell everyone about the angels and Jesus?
Answer: After seeing Jesus. (Luke 2:17)
19. How many people were amazed by the story the shepherds told?
Answer: All the people. (Luke 2:18)
20. What did Mary think about often and keep in her heart?
Answer: The birth of her Son and the story of the shepherds. (Luke 2:19)
21. Why did the shepherds glorify and praise God after going back to their flocks?
Answer: Because everything that the angel said was true. (Luke 2:20)
Just in case you’re interested, you might want to check out this book with even more Bible trivia for your kids: Great Bible Trivia for Kids (Young Reader’s Christian Library)
If you liked this Sunday School/Homeschooling idea, then sign up to receive Scripture Lady’s Free Email Kid Tips packed full with creative ideas and receive 6 FREE Bible Review Games to help get the kids you minister to excited about the Bible! Just go to www.MyFreeBibleGames.com to fully subscribe.
Also, don’t forget to “LIKE” me on Facebook. Just click on my Facebook logo to the right. Thank you!
If you’re into Twitter, click on the cute little bird!